Sunday 25 January 2009

Winter in Sweden


Back home again after spending a week in Holmsund with my Dad. Luckily the snow arrived about three days before me, so I'm happy I've got the chance to see proper snow this year!

The temperature was -16 C when I arrived to Umeå. Nice and cold! When I left it was only 0 C. The snow was slowly turning into slush... :-(

Dad showed me around Holmsund which is his birth place. I've now seen all the houses he ever lived in, including the one my great Granddad built (the building goes in the family). We also got the opportunities to meet some of Dad's cousins. It was good to see Maine and Hans again. We used to spend our summers together in Sövall, Grebbestad, Bohuslän. I think I was about 15 last time I saw them.

On Wednesday Dad and I went for a walk along the coast outside Holmsund. The wind was ice-cold and it probably took 30 min before I could feel my cheeks again.

Anyway, when walking along the waterfront we discovered the most amazing ice formations on the water. The ice along this particular stretch was a bit broken up since the ice breakers and pilot ships use this stretch to reach the harbour. But just along the shoreline the ice had been folded, just like if it was a sheet of fabric. Neither Dad nor I have ever seen anything like that before. Of course I had to borrow Dad's camera and take lots of photographs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

VAD fint du skrivit, och härliga bilder. Vi har influensa både pappa och jag nu. Pappa hade 40,4 i feber i förrgår, men nu har han 37,7-38 grader och börjar väl så smått att återhämta sig men han är väldigt trött. Jag har 38 grader och riktig skrällhosta, har bara suttit och glott på TV idag, kan inte göra så mycket annat, men vi kommer igen... puss från mamma, host...

Anonymous said...

VAD fint du skrivit, och härliga bilder. Vi har influensa både pappa och jag nu. Pappa hade 40,4 i feber i förrgår, men nu har han 37,7-38 grader och börjar väl så smått att återhämta sig men han är väldigt trött. Jag har 38 grader och riktig skrällhosta, har bara suttit och glott på TV idag, kan inte göra så mycket annat, men vi kommer igen... puss från mamma, host...

K said...

Tack så mycket! Vad trist att ni bägge är sjuka. Hoppas att ni kryar på er snart.