Tuesday 3 March 2009

Kitchen project

For the past weeks I been working on a mobile to hang in our kitchen window. As I came to the conclusion that a curtain would block out too much light and (yes Mom you are slowly converting me) the window seemed a little bare, I thought a mobile could do the job. I guess I got a bit inspired from the mobile shop we found in Japan.

The question was what should I hang in it. As it is a kitchen dried chillies and limes seemed to be the obvious choice. So I've spent a week or two drying them.

Next question was what should I use as a hanging base? I was pondering on this whilst the chillies were drying. The only thing I could come up with, which didn't involve a complicated shopping trip, was gigantic tooth picks. Not ideal perhaps but should do the job.

The week turns into weekend and my in-laws came for a visit. On the Sunday we all went out for a nice walk when it suddently hit me; I can use fallen down tree sticks and branches.

So I came back with an assorted collection of branches and sticks. Next was just to assemble it all. It was a bit fiddely but then again, that's the kind of job I like. Last night I strung the last bit together and voilĂ , we got a mobile for the kitchen. You can see the result below.

All that is needed now is some heavy duty drilling to put the hook up in the window. I might leave that to Hubby, he enjoys that kind of job more than I :-)



3 comments:

Ian said...

I see you carefully skirted the bit about stealing the sticks from the National Trust :-)

K said...

Well I wouldn't call it stealing. I would call it tidying up and recycling! So I think I've made them a favour.

hundenstina said...

Snyggt!!!
Vilken bra ide´...
Hugs from your friend in Sweden ...